People donate to charities for all sorts of reasons. When we find a cause that is near and dear to our hearts or discover a situation that we feel strongly about, it’s natural to want to help.
Worthy charitable organizations seek to tackle the most difficult issues on the planet. There are many problems in our world, and many of them will often only be confronted effectively by the best charities to donate to.
To make sure that your donation counts and provides the funding needed to support these causes, you need to do some research.
Luckily, we’ve already done it for you!
Top 10 Charitable Organizations – First Look
- Charity aggregator system – Do Good Points
- Donate via coupons & vouchers – One World To Give
- Support charity, win prizes – Omaze
- Help vulnerable children – Kids Alive International
- Reduce poverty – Robin Hood Foundation
- Cancer research – Mario Lemieux Foundation
- Support service dogs – NEADS World Class Service Dogs
- Disaster response – Convoy Of Hope
- Help provide Dialysis – The American Kidney Fund
- Support US troops – National Veterans Foundation
Best Charities in the US, Reviewed
Within the framework of charitable giving, there are many different causes to pursue.
Some charities benefit children’s causes or address other issues like world peace, hunger, and health. Still, others promote and sustain the education of vulnerable groups throughout the world.
The charities you may consider are as diverse as the problems they seek to address. Let’s look at 10 of the best charities to give to:
1. Do Good Points – A Charity Aggregator
Do Good Points is an information aggregator for social causes. Each of the nonprofits that are curated for their site aligns with the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals.
By interacting with the Do Good Points platform in the course of your charitable actions, you can earn rewards points that are redeemable towards a donation to a charity of your choice.
Do Good Points believe that this incentive program is a more effective giving model that promises more impact through greater Return on Giving (ROG). This is the first loyalty program to reward you points for doing good.
- Promising new model for maximum charitable impact
- Return On Giving (ROG)
- Separate from nonprofit Do Good Foundation
- Not all charities are available
2. One World to Give – A Unique Model for Discounts
The One World To Give model for charitable giving is unique. They compile the best coupons and discounts available in US and Canadian stores through direct relationships with vendors.
Their promotions help them raise funds, and those funds are then used to support charities. A portion of all their proceeds is donated to DirectRelief.org Covid-19 Relief efforts. Direct Relief is a highly-rated charity.
- Only a fraction of your money gets donated
- Supports a respected and accountable charity
- Use discounts to purchase from top merchants
3. Omaze – Support Charities and Win Prizes
Omaze is a relatively new option for charitable giving. Your donation will support a charity but also earn you a chance at winning prizes and experiences as well.
Omaze believes that the traditional fundraising models are not adequate for the current generation. Instead of stressing that more donated money goes directly to the charitable programs of a given cause, they try to attract more giving overall through their attractive and exciting prize packages.
However, all of the advertising required and the experiences and prizes themselves carry a price tag. So, even though they are successful in raising funds, there is a smaller proportion of money left over for the actual work of the charity.
If you are looking to get more out of your donation than a tax break, check out their prize programs and do some good at the same time.
- Not a charity
- Earn a chance to win prizes for donating
- Help a variety of charities
4. Kids Alive International – Helping the Most Vulnerable
Kids Alive International is a Christian ministry focused on rescuing orphans and other at-risk kids around the world. They are faith-based and family-centered, stressing the nurturing power of close relationships and the overall health and well-being of the children they serve.
Among all of the most reputable charities in the US, Kids Alive International stands out as the most transparent, with more than 82% of their expenses going directly to their charitable programs.
- 94.84% Rating on Charity Navigator
- Variety of Giving Models
- Donors invited to serve alongside missionary staff
- 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, donations are tax-deductible
5. Robin Hood Foundation – Targeting Poverty
The Robin Hood Foundation, based in New York City, partners with a coalition of other nonprofits to battle against poverty.
They have a great variety of programs, from a dedicated 9/11 Relief Fund to transitional housing for at-risk LGBTQ youth to job training and outreach for the homeless.
Many nonprofits exist under the umbrella of the Robin Hood Foundation, and they run the gamut from early childhood and youth programs to education, jobs, and income security.
When you donate through the Robin Hood Foundation, you can give with confidence. They dedicate more than 90% of their expenses directly to charitable programming.
- Invested over 172 million dollars in non-profits last year alone
- New York-focused and driven
- Regular updates to poverty tracker
6. Mario Lemieux Foundation – Cancer Research and Family Support
You may remember Mario Lemieux for his exploits as an ice hockey player. When he was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s disease in the early 1990s, he started his foundation to assist other cancer sufferers and fundraise toward the ultimate goal of finding a cure for cancer.
One of the most accountable and transparent charities you can find, the Mario Lemieux Foundation uses its funding to support patients and their families during their fight against cancer and other challenging medical situations.
Austin’s Playrooms is an offshoot of the Mario Lemieux Foundation. When the Lemieux family was spending a lot of time in the…